The Ailing Planet-The Green Movement's Role Chapter 5th English Class 11th ( Hornbill ) Summary Explain
- The Lesson, The Ailing Planet : The Green Movement's Role Focuses On The Deteriorating Health Of Earth
- Because Of Human Being's Growing Lust To Exploit All Its Natural Resources.
- The Green Movement Started Nearly 35 Years Ago In 1972.
- Since Then, It Has Captured The Imagination Of Millions
- The World's First Nationwide Green Party Was Founded In New Zealand
New holistic view of the world
- Green Movement Has Changed Our Concepts
- The Shift Is Very Positive
- Now We Have A Holistic View Of The World For The First Time There Is A Growing Worldwide Consciousness That The Earth Itself Is A Living Organism
- In 1987 The World Commission On Environment And Development Defined What Is Meant By Sustainable Development
- It Means Human Development That Fulfills The Needs Of The Present Without Harming The Future Of Mankind.
- Man Shares The Earth With 1.4 Million Living Species
- This Earth Has Become A Scorched Planet
- Deserts Are Advancing Landscapes And The Environment Have Been Degraded
Earth’s Main Biological Systems
- Fisheries, Forests, Grasslands And Croplands Are The Four Main Biological Systems Of This Earth
- They Are The Basis Of The Global Economic System .
- But These Basic Systems Are Being Threatened .
- They Are Reaching An Unsustainable Level
- Production Has Fallen, Fisheries Have Been Ruined, Forests Are Disappearing
- Grasslands Are Being Converted Into Wastelands
- Croplands Are Not In Good Shape, Tropical Forests Are The Powerhouses Of Evolution, But These Face Extinction Also
Forests Precede Mankind
- Forests Precede Mankind Deserts Follow Them
- 50 Million Acres Of Tropical Forests Are Disappearing Every Year
- The World Bank Estimates That A Fivefold Increase In Forest Plantation Is Needed To Cope With The Fuelwood Demand In The Coming Years
- Actually, We Are Losing Forests At The Rate Of An Acre And A Half Every Second
- According To A Government Report India Is Losing 3.7 Million Acres Of Forest Every Year
- The Actual Loss Is Much Higher
Development And Population
- Education Spreads And Health Improves Fertility Falls As Income Rise
- But Development Fails If The Population Grows More Children Does Not Mean More Workers But It Means More People Without Work So Poverty Continues
Population Deteriorating Environment
- Satellites And Aerial Surveys Conducted By The Uno Warn That The Environment Has Deteriorated So Badly That It Can Be Termed As Critical
- The Growth Of World Population Is The Main Cause Of This The 20th Century Has Added About 3.7 Billions
- The Present World Population Is Estimated As 5.7 Billion (7.9 Billion In 2021)
- In Every Four Days The World Population Increases By 1 Million
- The Choice Is Clear Either Control Population Or Perpetuate Poverty
We Are Tenants
- Margaret Thatcher Has Summed Up By Declaring That “No Generation Has A Freehold On This Earth All We Have Is A Life Tenancy”.
- As Lester Brown Says : “We Have Not Inherited This Earth From Our Forefathers We Have Borrowed It From Our Children
- It Is Not Only The Question Of The Survival Of Human Race But Also Of The Planet Earth